BiblioTemps®, a short-term library staffing service operated by the Massachusetts Library System, seeks a Head Librarian for an academic art library in the Boston area. This position will begin at the end of August and last through spring 2013.
POSITION TITLE: Head Librarian
Schedule: Full Time (35 hours/week)
JOB TITLE SUMMARY:
- Ensures continuity of library services and resources for the students and faculty. Represents Library at Library Leadership Meetings.
- Responsible for the planning, implementation, and problem solving for all library operations and collections on a daily basis.
- Develops and maintains the Library collections in accordance with the standards of professional librarianship and ensures the provision of collections and services relevant to the curriculum and the needs of the Library’s community.
- Works with the library’s senior management team to ensure that the library’s policies and procedures are consistent with the overall mission of the University libraries
- Plans library and visual resources services for the curriculum, in consultation with the teaching faculty and library colleagues
- Administers collection development, including selection of materials in consultation with teaching faculty, and the acceptance of gifts-in-kind in accordance with University library policy
- Collaborates with two staff members, the Visual Resource Curator and Library Assistant; oversees supervision of 6-10 part-time student employees
- Represents Library in Curriculum Committee, Dean’s Council and Department Chairs, and other college committees as appropriate
- Collaborates with the main Library staff, as well as faculty across the University to plan and deliver reference services, bibliographic instruction, and research workshops
- Performs other duties as assigned or developed
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in library and information science
- Degree in art history, fine arts or design, art education, and/or advanced arts-related degree
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in library administration within an academic setting, preferably in a university or art and design school
- Thorough understanding of the requirements of print, non-print, audiovisual, and digital collections, and the potential of emerging information resources
- Experience with integrated library systems and the ability to lead in their future development
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and work collegially
- Ability to articulate and implement an innovative, flexible vision for library services
- Ability to generate creative solutions and to manage change
- Flexibility appropriate for a dynamic work setting, with desire to participate in collaborative problem solving
Please submit a cover letter and current resume or CV for this position at http://www.bibliotemps.com/jobs/.