Hopkinton Public Schools
NOTICE OF VACANCY
Job Posting # 13-76
Opening Date: May 1, 2013
Closing Date: Open until filled
TITLE: High School Library/Media Specialist
TYPE OF POSITION: Full-time (1.0), 2013-2014 school year; salary commensurate with experience and education
LOCATION: High School, Hopkinton, Massachusetts
The Library/Media Specialist provides all students with an enriched library environment containing a wide variety of materials that will invite intellectual growth, and to aid all students in acquiring the skills needed to take full advantage of media center resources. The High School Library/Media Specialist reports to the principal and directs the Library Assistant(s), if assigned.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
1. Operates and supervises the media center which assigned;
2. Prepares and administers the media center budget, and evaluates, selects, and requisitions new media center materials;
3. Assists teachers in the selection of books and other instructional materials, makes media center materials available to supplement the instructional program, and works with teachers in planning those assignments likely to lead to extended use of media center resources;
4. Maintains a comprehensive and efficient system for cataloging all media center materials and instructs teachers and students on use of the system;
5. Teaches classes in library, media, and research skills as assigned by the Principal, and presents and discusses materials with a class studying a particular topic, on the invitation of the teacher;
6. Counsels with, and gives reading guidance to students who have special reading problems or unusual intellectual interests, and helps students to develop habits of independent reference work;
7. Shares responsibility for accomplishing the goals and priorities of his/her grade/team/department, building and school district, attending all faculty and committee meetings as required, and district-wide committees as needed;
8. Other duties, as assigned.
To be considered qualified for this position, candidates must have the following:
1. Licensed, or eligible for licensure in Library by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary & Secondary Education preferred;
2. Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s preferred, from an accredited college or university, in Library Science or a related field;
3. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, to children and adults;
4. Commitment to remain current in content knowledge and teaching strategies;
5. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Superintendent may find appropriate and in conformity with state certification requirements.
To be considered for this vacancy, please reference only job posting #13-76 and your last name (as, #13-76 Jones) in the subject line, and submit:
1. Cover letter, which should include a statement of your educational philosophy;
2. Resume, which should contain applicable license/certification information;
4. Applicable license(s); and
5. The contact information for three professional references.
Submit the above required information to: email@example.com Please note: this address is for application materials only. E-mail is our preferred method of application, however, if you wish to apply by mail, please send the required items to:
Human Resources (Job Vacancy #13-76)
Hopkinton Public Schools
89 Hayden Rowe
Hopkinton, MA 01748
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.