Position Title: Technical Services Librarian (Cataloger) – Part Time (25 hours)
Reports to: Library Director
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
The Technical Services Librarian/Lead Cataloger catalogs, classifies, and reclassifies materials for the collection. Updates, enhances, and modifies bibliographic and item records in the Library’s online catalog as needed. Trains catalogers; fields cataloging questions from Library staff and other catalogers within the Southern NH Library Cooperative.
The Technical Services Librarian/Cataloger also provides services to support patrons’ use of the Library resources and services, is responsible for specialized areas of library operations and provides support to the Library Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Performs original descriptive and subject cataloging for various library materials.
2. Understands cataloging rules and standards.
3. Performs copy cataloging in all subject areas.
4. Create original Machine Readable Cataloging (MARC) records to add to the library’s online catalog.
5. Classify using the Dewey decimal classification and construct call numbers for materials added to the Library’s collection.
6. Provide overall direction and assistance to staff assisting in performing cataloging activities.
7. Create item record and print spine label for each physical item.
8. Primary responsibility for maintenance of the library catalog.
9. Determine appropriate treatments for series or multipart items.
10. Provide assistance to other catalogers/library assistants in resolving difficult cataloging problems.
11. Participates in database cleanup projects.
12. Attends staff meetings, conferences, and educational opportunities as appropriate to the position and within the budget.
13. Ability to organize work effectively, determine priorities, make decisions and complete assigned duties.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Actively participate in team meetings and activities to support the Library’s mission, goals and objectives.
2. Assist library patrons with circulation, basic information questions, interlibrary loan and related functions.
3. Assist patrons in the use of electronic library resources such as the online catalog, research databases, downloadable e-books & audio books, Internet, etc.
4. Assist patrons to use equipment such as computers, scanners, printers, photocopies, and e-book readers. Perform basic troubleshooting and maintenance of equipment (toner, etc.).
5. Close and open the Library at the start and end of the day.
6. Responsible for library services’ cashiering, safekeeping of cash and performing cash reconciliation including cash counts.
7. Work flexible schedule including evenings and some Saturdays.
8. Other duties as assigned.
· Minimum of two years experience working as a technical services librarian/cataloger.
· Knowledge of Koha ILS preferred.
· Knowledge of cataloging practices and procedures and knowledge of library automation systems.
· Demonstrated willingness and ability to learn new technical skills, changing library technology and library resources.
· Ability to take lead responsibility for areas of specialization.
· Ability for high degree of accuracy working with detailed data in print, non-print and digital data.
· Minimum of two years experience working with computer software applications, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
· Demonstrated good communication skills (verbal, writing, spelling).
EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND, EXPERIENCE, AND TRAINING
· MLS preferred and professional/practical library experience in public, academic or research library utilizing traditional and new library systems and techniques.
* Knowledge of library resources related to cataloging and classification.
* Ability to apply the principles and practices of Technical Services effectively.
* Any combination of education, experience, or training that satisfies the requirements of the position.
Deadline: May 1, 2013 or until filled.
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Email or send letters of interest and resume to:
5 Academy Ave
Atkinson, NH 03811