Children’s/Young Adult Librarian, Redwood Library & Athenaeum, Newport, RI
The Redwood Library and Athenaeum in Newport, RI, is seeking an outgoing, enthusiastic, and self-directed part-time Children’s/Young Adult Librarian to create a welcoming atmosphere and provide high-quality, consistent programming and services. The Children’s Library will reopen in June in a freshly-renovated space with new shelving.
Founded in 1747 upon the principle of “having nothing in view but the good of mankind,” the Redwood Library and Athenaeum is the oldest lending library in America, and the oldest library building in continuous use in the country.
The Children’s/Young Adult Librarian is solely responsible for all library activities, educational programs, and services specific to Children and Young Adults, including collection development, policies, and programming. The Librarian is responsible for developing forward-looking strategies for Children’s and YA services and coordinating those service operations with other library services and functions. Specific duties include:
1. Develops, plans, promotes, and facilitates a consistent schedule of high-quality programs for children and young adults, with primary emphasis on meeting the needs of members.
2. Develops and implements creative approaches to serving children’s and young adult library needs.
3. Oversees budget recommendations, acquisitions, and collection development of children’s and young adult library materials.
4. Supervises children’s and young adult department volunteers and interns.
1. Master’s Degree in library and information science with minimum 2 years professional experience in a children’s/young adult setting.
2. Knowledge of current children’s and teen literature, reference resources, and practices.
3. Fluency in office and library software as well as current recreational technology used by children and teens.
4. Initiative, flexibility, strong interpersonal skills, and good written and verbal communication skills.
Part time with some weekday morning and afternoon hours and regular Saturday hours. July and August schedule will be 22 hours/week, with 17 hours/week during the remainder of the year.
Application Process: Letter of interest and resume with three references to Maria Bernier, Assistant Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Maria Bernier, Redwood Library & Athenaeum, 50 Bellevue Avenue, Newport, RI 02840.
Application deadline is May 10, 2013.